Time for thick sweaters, drinking hot chocolate by the fireplace, Home Alone part 1 & 2 and last but not least; White Chicken Chili.
Super delicious, super comforting, super easy!
Serves four people (generously…)
- 2 large cans of white beans
- 1 can crispy corn
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 onion
- 1 litre of chicken broth
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- the zest of half a lemon
- juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Drain and rinse the white beans with water. Dice up the onion.
- Saute the diced onions and Roast the peppers (it’s possible to skip this step and just saute the peppers with the onion. I personally think roasting the peppers gives you more flavour). After you’ve roasted the peppers, cut them into dices.
- Season the chicken breasts with some salt and pepper and bake them in a skillet over medium heat. Once the chicken is done, take two forks and shred the chicken into small pieces.
- In a large pot combine the white beans, the corn, the shredded chicken and the roasted peppers and onions. Add one litre of chicken broth and give everything a good stir to combine.
- Season the dish with the cilantro, chili powder and oregano.
- Bring the pot to a boil. Let simmer for 1-1,5 hour. You want to broth to reduce.
- Once the chili has thickened add the zest and juice of half a lemon. Finally add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with some additional cilantro. Serve with some toasted bread or tortilla chips with guacamole.
Quick tip: Chili always tastes better the day after it’s made! When all the flavours have gotten to know each other ; )